Probably everyone knows about plank exercise now. Not so long ago, all fitness instructors started talking about it, plans and tables for performing the "bar" for every day appeared on the Internet and social networks. Let's find out how to do this right? How to make a schedule of classes and what real results can be achieved with it.
Most people have the misconception that by doing the plank for a month, you can achieve the perfect figure. Let's see what can really be achieved by making this undoubtedly a useful exercise. But we warn you right away - the article is purely exploratory in nature. This is not a call to action. Only an expert can tell you how to properly reduce weight and what methods to use for this.
Plank for weight loss - the best exercises for the whole body
The barbell is an isometric exercise that gives a static load of strength to the muscles of the abdomen and body. During its execution, the press, the area between the shoulder blades and the lower back, forearms, thighs and buttocks are involved. It comes in several options for the complexity of execution, suitable for both beginners in the sport and professional athletes.
The plank works well as part of a complex, along with other exercises for problem areas. Before that, you definitely need to do a little warm-up, and after - stretching.
What is a plank?
The plank is an exercise that strengthens the straight and oblique muscles of the abdomen. It has several different options, which differ in the complexity of execution and in the area that acts in the process.
Exercise is quite popular in the fitness industry. It is part of a variety of complex and functional exercises. Its varieties are found in yoga classes, Pilates.
types of boards
- classic - in straight arms;
- classic - on the elbows;
- with twist;
- with push-ups;
- with arms or legs extended.
There are many execution options. New ideas are constantly popping up to complicate the classic version. But for those who are losing weight, another thing is important - it is possible to get rid of excess weight in this way, if such an exercise will help to remove the stomach and sides.
Helps in weight loss
The plank is a good strength exercise that works your abdominal muscles. He effectively solves them, helps to strengthen them. But to lose weight, this is not important, but rather a calorie deficit: you need to spend more than you eat.
To burn an impressive amount of calories, you need to hold on to the bar all day! Therefore, it is not worth waiting for her to shed the pounds accumulated over the years.
But the bar can even, should be part of a complex of physical exercises, combined with an adequate diet, in addition to a complex group psychotherapy to correct eating habits.
The plank is a good functional exercise that doesn't require special equipment, sportswear, or a lot of space. Almost everyone can do it. In addition, it has several other advantages:
- the minimum amount of time to complete;
- no need to go to the gym, you can do it at home;
- can be performed even after eating, not being necessary to eat certain foods before and after training;
- has a small number of contraindications;
- improves general well-being, coordination of movements.
Exercise is suitable for strengthening the muscles, but it will not be possible to lose weight with it.
During the exercise, you need to listen to your feelings. If you feel discomfort somewhere, for example, pain in the joints or muscles, you should stop immediately, wait until the physical condition is completely stabilized. If the pain persists, you should consult a specialist, it could be a pinch or sprain.
In addition, it is prohibited to perform the slash in such cases:
- spinal injuries, displacement of intervertebral discs, hernia;
- high pressure;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- during a cold or flu, with acute inflammatory diseases.
Especially carefully when performing exercise, it is necessary to be girls during menstruation. Tension in the abdominal muscles can cause cramping, pain, or increased bleeding. It is also not recommended to perform the plank for pregnant or postpartum women.
As already mentioned, the plank is a type of exercise that helps to strengthen the muscles of the body. Proper and regular exercise will help tighten the torso, make it more prominent. Efficiency, results are largely determined by the following factors:
- regularity: you need to perform the bar at least three times a week;
- number of approaches: it is better to do a complete workout that combines different types of straps;
- correct execution, strict adherence to technology;
- proper nutrition, healthy sleep, daily routine, correction of eating habits - without this, the bar will not give any results.
If you plank regularly for at least 30 days, you will notice the first results. Usually, the condition of the skin changes: it becomes smoother, toned, due to this, an overall impression of weight loss is created.
how long to plank
The optimal time is selected individually. For an unprepared person, 10 seconds will be enough, when an athlete holds up to 10 minutes. What happens to the body over time:
- In the first 20-30 seconds, there is a feeling of tension, which grows with each second. At the same time, blood circulation in working areas increases, oxygen is actively supplied. For all this, the body spends about 5 calories. For beginners, this will be enough.
- After a minute, there is a feeling of warmth, a slight tremor. It seems that the muscles are "clogged", they have become dense, stone. Usually, at this stage, people give up, because they don't want to put up with discomfort or pain.
- After three minutes, a "second wind" opens. The pain, discomfort lessens a little, the body gets used to the load. At this stage it is better to stop and start again - so that the training will be more effective.
- Holding the bar for more than 10 minutes is not recommended - this is fraught with muscle fiber destruction.
Most fitness instructors believe that it is better to do multiple 30 second reps than to defend 3-4 minutes at a time. So the body doesn't have time to get used to the load, to adapt. Each new approach to it is a new test, which will be increasingly difficult to deal with.
Regularity of classes
Classes must be regular. It is best to spend a few minutes at the end of the morning exercises on the bar, when the body is already warmed up, ready for the load.
If you cannot immediately do the number of approaches required by the program, then you can divide the lesson into two parts: one with exercises, the other 2-3 hours after dinner, just before bed. If a workout is also provided in the evening, it is best that it also include the bar.
If there is no progress with regular classes, you should pay attention to the following points:
- load intensity: if the body is used to regular exercise, you can not only increase the time, but try the harder version and thus control the process;
- wrong technique. In the next paragraph of the article, we will consider the correct sequence, typical mistakes of beginners.
The main thing to understand is that it's not so much the quantity that matters, but the quality of training.
how to do it right
The execution technique is as follows:
- feet are shoulder-width apart;
- the elbows are strictly under the shoulder joints;
- the gaze is directed towards the fingers, the neck is straight;
- the stomach is contracted, there is no deflection in the lower back;
- legs, abdominal muscles and arms are tense.
The name of the exercise describes the technique: the torso must be extended in a straight line - the bar. There should be no creases anywhere.
The execution technique at first glance seems simple. However, mistakes do happen, especially for beginners. The most common are the following:
- The pelvis is above the head. In this position, the load is redistributed, passes to the muscles of the arms and forearms. At the same time, discomfort is felt in the shoulder joints.
- Deflection in the neck, lifting the head. When performing the barbell, you need to look at your fingers. When you move your gaze forward, a deflection is formed in the neck, the load on the cervical vertebrae increases. This is especially dangerous for people suffering from osteochondrosis.
- Elbows too wide. It is not easy to maintain balance in such a state. The load on the muscles of the back, shoulder joints and elbows increases. All this can lead to injuries.
- Deflection in the lower back. When performing the exercise, it is necessary to monitor the position of the body. It should be straight, like a plank, like a rope. Otherwise, pain in the lower back may occur.
If the plank is done incorrectly, you cannot injure yourself. Therefore, you should not chase an increase in time, it is better to keep ten seconds, but correctly.
For beginners, just 4-5 minutes per workout per day is enough. This time is enough to get used to the load, to prepare for other more difficult exercises.
Beginners can use the following program:
|The third||30-45 seconds|
If after a circle there is still strength, you can repeat it about 2-3 times. This workout can be done in the morning and in the evening.
The main thing is to develop a habit, make the exercises regular.
The program for men is a little more difficult than for beginners and women. It involves the use of various types of boards in a complex with the maximum study of the muscles of the body. Representatives of the stronger sex are usually able to maintain the desired position longer due to the natural characteristics of the body, strong arms and back.
The men's program may include the following types of straps:
- with alternating elevation of arms and legs;
- with weights.
For each approach, a separate version of the slash. The duration of an approach is 45 to 60 seconds. Men can perform about 3-5 rounds in one workout.
Therefore, it is biologically established that excess weight in women mainly accumulates in the abdomen and hips. Because of this, the fair sex has a large number of complexes, there is a lack of self-confidence and beauty. Wanting to remedy the situation, they go on strict diets and torture their bodies with intense exercise.
But actually, you can lose weight without serious dietary restrictions. It's worth changing habits, excess weight will go away on its own. But the old and harmful occupations must be replaced by new and healthy ones. As an option - regular exercises, including the barbell.
The program for women might look like this:
- approach one - the classic plank on straight arms or elbows;
- second approach - lateral (in the left hand);
- third approach - lateral (right);
- fourth approach - again classic on straight arms or elbows.
For the best effect, you need to make about three of these circles. The duration of each approach is 30 to 40 seconds.
Plank body shaping
The main benefit of doing planks regularly is strengthening your core. The body visually changes, becomes stronger, toned.
In addition, when performed correctly, it can bring such benefits:
- strengthening of the back muscles, especially important for people who lead a predominantly sedentary lifestyle (office workers, schoolchildren, students, retirees);
- reduction of neck and spine pain - plank exercise is often included in the complex of physical therapy exercises prescribed by a doctor;
- increased resistance, as it is not easy to stay on the board for a long time, muscles tense, tremors appear and you need to master yourself to defend the right moment;
- improved blood circulation, active supply of cells with oxygen;
- mood improvement - when performing any physical exercise, the production of hormones, including dopamine and serotonin, is activated.
Let's take a look at some basic board options.
Ideal for beginners - classic. It is recommended to master it first, as it allows you to remember the technique, as well as understanding which muscles are included in the work and how the body reacts to it.
Beginners can make simplified options:
- open your legs a little more, but make sure that the load does not pass to the shoulders and forearms;
- perform on straight arms, not elbows;
- they get closer with time, but increase in number.
Advanced athletes can try harder options:
- perform standing on the elbows;
- keep your feet together with your heels together;
- increase the duration of an approach;
- use leg weights;
- do push-ups in the middle.
It is important to choose a complex according to your own feelings. Then it will not be perceived as torture, it will be more comfortable to do it all the time.
The side plank is performed standing on one arm. At the same time, the lateral muscles of the abdomen and waist are mainly included in the work. Hold each side for at least 15 seconds.
While performing, you need to ensure that the body is extended in a straight line. There should be no sagging in the pelvic region, severe discomfort in the shoulder joints. It is better for beginners to perform it on straight arms, advanced on elbows.
You can complicate the option by using weights for the legs and dumbbells for the arms. It will be very difficult to remain statically in this position.
Boards with limb extension
Once the classic version is mastered, you can move on to the complications. To do this, use the bar with hand withdrawal. People call her "Superman". The usual exercise position is taken, after which one arm is raised directly in front of you or slightly to the side. The pose is fixed for at least 30 seconds.
You can further complicate the exercise by simultaneously ripping off your left arm and right leg. Then vice versa. The exercise works well on the back, arm and abdominal muscles.
The main thing, as with other options, is to follow the technique, do not forget that the whole body must be extended in one line.
30 days around bar program
There are many different programs available on the Internet. The most popular of these is "30 days around the bar". Your main condition is to challenge yourself and practice every day, increasing the time, no matter what. This plan is designed for 30 days and looks like this:
|Day||time in seconds||Day||time in seconds|
This program will help the body adapt, get used to a new type of load.
Beginner weight loss plank table
A monthly program for beginners might look like this:
|Day||time in seconds||Day||time in seconds|
The proposed program can be changed by you, adding 5 to 10 seconds daily.
Opinion of an 'expert
On the Internet you can find many reviews, photos from the series "before and after the course of classes". You shouldn't believe them, because a good result is based on a lot of work, which doesn't just consist of doing the bar.